Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Search Is Over. (Or - I finally found... what I've been lookin' for...)

Not only was today my birthday, but it was also the day that I found the Wii! It went a little something like this- around 11:30, when we were getting ready to start our croquet tournament at work, I got a text from my excellent roomie Meghan that said all the Meijers had 30 Wiis today. I couldn't really do anything about it till after the croquet/lunch extravaganza. So around 1, I was calling lots of Meijers. 

"Do you have any Wiis?"
"What? Weeds?"
"No! Wiis!"
"Oh. No."

But then... when I called Mooresville, I got a different answer! They did, indeed, have Wiis in stock. I think my only words to Lynn were, "I have to go." She understood. I hopped in the car and made the trek to Mooresville (about 30 minutes from work/downtown). On the way there, I felt like every car was going to Meijer to get a Wii. I sat in construction traffic. I saw a bizarre electrical fire on the side of the road. Then I finally arrived. 

I headed straight to the video game section. I went to the glass case where the Wiis are supposed to be... and... nothing. I was a little upset. There was no Meijer employee anywhere near the video games, so I went to hunt one down. They paged someone to video games. I waited... and waited... for about 15 minutes. Dad called to wish me a happy birthday, and I told him what I was doing. He said I don't have time for video games. True... but he has never played the Wii! I was getting angrier by the minute. Did I really just leave work and drive half an hour to get there and not get a Wii? I was writing a blasphemous Meijer blog post in my head. 

But then... someone finally showed up. I told her I'd just called and was told there were Wiis in stock. "Oh, yes," she said. "They're in the photo lab. Come with me." Well that makes sense. Don't let anyone know you have them... keep them hidden in a different department! Things were looking up, though. Not only did they have the Wii, but also the Wii Fit. So I picked that up as well. I did a little skiing this evening. Apparently I lack balance. (Anyone in my yoga class could've told you that!) 

I'm glad that my mission has been accomplished and that I no longer have to spend time calling 16+ Game Stops everyday to see if they have a Wii! I do have a feeling that it's going to become a money pit because of all the fun accessories and games... but anyway, here's to many fun hours of playing the Wii! 

2 comments:

Jenibug7 said...

I am so jealous! I had no idea they were so hard to find. Shows how up on the times I am, huh?! But I have thought about getting "the fam" one for Christmas this year. You'll have to let me know how the Fit is because that was a big selling point for me...

Tompkins News said...

I am still on the Wii hunt...sadly with no luck. And it doesn't help that we are now in a small town that has probably 3 places that would even carry it. I have friends looking in Tucson though...so hopefully...someday. Poor Patrick though thought I really did have the Wii all week and that he was going to get it for Father's Day, which had originally been my plan. I had no idea they were so hard to come by so all week he kept talking about when was he going to be able to play. I got him a horse shoe set instead, something else he had wanted. So my search for the Wii continues, but I am glad at least someone got one, and they can be bought.