Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Best Friends, Worst Friends, and Average Friends

This conversation has come up twice this week, so I thought maybe it was blog-worthy. 

I do not like "best friends." The idea of taking one of your friends and bestowing upon them the title of "best" friend is just weird to me. If you are going to name your "best" friend, are you also going to have someone who is your "worst" friend? Or your "average" friend?

Like everyone else, I have some friends who are closer than others. I may call some people my "good friends" but I don't go so far as to name one of them the "best." (I am overusing quotes. Sorry about that.) I'm not in the business of ranking my friends one through however-many-friends-I-have.

What if someone is my best friend, but I am not their best friend? Or vice versa? That creates all kinds of awkward situations. 

As we were discussing this at small group tonight, I gave my Sunday School answer. "Jesus is my best friend." We decided that He would wear the "best" part of the necklace, and I would get the "friend" half.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

So...we're not best friends anymore? Does this mean I have to give back the other half of our necklace?

I totally agree...ranking your friends only brings hurt and cheapens the relationships to numbers. Just for fun, though, I'd like to see you rank your friends from 1-198 (your total number of friends according to facebook).