Friday, January 18, 2008

What Are the Chances...

that I will enjoy my statistics class? I'd say slim to none. I decided to be a little ambitious this semester and take three classes. "Are you a math person?" my advisor asked. Haha. Me? A math person? Not quite.

But anyhow... this is a picture of my book. There are a couple things I have to say about it.

First, I ordered it from Amazon Marketplace. I paid about $30 for it, which I didn't think was too bad. I'm pretty sure it was more expensive at the GW bookstore. But can you see that little yellow sticker in the photo? It says, "Clearance. $1.00." Seriously? Did someone just make $29 because I'm taking statistics? While I'm no math person, I'm pretty sure that's an excellent profit for the seller!

And to the publisher - What's with the coffee cups on the cover? Are they meant to calm us and reassure us that this isn't going to be so bad after all? Or, are they to warn us that we will need to drink a LOT of coffee to make it through this class? Just wondering.

It was good to see last week that I'm not the only one who fears statistics. It's going to be rough, but at least I know I'm not alone! We get started on this one the week of February 4. Can't wait!

1 comment:

Jordan said...

What a cheap shot. It's one thing to rip off your customers but to leave the proof in bright orange right on the product is pretty low.

Don't worry...the probability that this low-life will pay for his behavior in full is 99% (Standard deviation +/- 1%, 95% confidence interval).

I am 100% sure that you are going to rock stats...then you can donate this book and expect to reap Heavenly dividends.

Good to study today!