Sunday, January 27, 2008

Best Birthday Ever!


Tuesday was Emma's third birthday. Last Sunday, I went home for a little birthday party. Em was pretty excited about her presents and blowing out her candles. She declared, "this is my best birthday ever!" 

That night, after I gave her a bath, we were sitting on the couch reading a book. She looked at me and said, "I love you." I told her I love her too and she said, "Me too!"


On Monday, Rob and I took her to Chuck E. Cheese's. It was her first trip... and I think she had a really good time. That is, until some little [snot-nosed!] kid ran by and knocked her down. But she got over that after a few minutes.

...Three years ago today I was sitting in that tiny waiting room at the hospital with mom, dad, Rob, and Adaryll... genuinely believing that things would be ok. Everyone else seemed to know what was happening - but I held on to hope until I heard it directly from the surgeon. From that moment on, life was different. There have been lots of tears and rough days, and numerous hours of journaling at Starbucks - but in the end, my ultimate belief that things will be ok has proven true. The "ok" now is certainly different than the "ok" I was imagining three years ago... but I continue to cling to my faith and belief that God is the same yesterday, today and forever.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Amen. I am sure there are days when it is a challenge to believe this. It is for me and nothing quite so precious has been asked of me or taken away from me. You are brave and you are strong. And of course you are an amazing aunt! Emma is blessed. So glad her party was a hit. 3 cheers for Chuck-E-Cheese's. I am looking forward to the days when Isaiah says "me too" to communicate his love for "Uncle".