Monday, January 3, 2011

Another Top Ten

Yes, I will fully admit that I am copying Jeff and Meg's idea. They are, after all, two of the coolest people I know. (Plus, it wasn't really an original idea anyway.)

So here you go: Steph's Top Ten of 2010
... and don't pay too much attention to the order. I didn't.

10. January 1, 2010
I had a really fantastic start to 2010, which consisted of brunch at my house that lasted 10+ hours. It turned into the most wonderful day of doing nothing with people who are pretty darn fun.

9. Reconnecting with Old Friends
I heart Summer Project friends, and this year I got to see three of them who I hadn't seen in a really, really long time. I met up with Chad in Colorado - I think the last time we had seen each other was 2001. I also saw Raffy there, who I hadn't seen since 2000. Then I saw Jess in Florida - hadn't seen her since 1999! It's really fun to be able to catch up and still share a common bond with these folks.

8. Concerts
This is a category that could have its own sub-top ten list. I think number one would be Garth Brooks. There was also Bon Jovi (x2), needtobreathe (x3), Steven Curtis Chapman, Train, Tim McGraw and Lady A, Michael W. Smith, Rascal Flatts, Sugarland, Rick Springfield, and probably some others I am forgetting. What can I say... I love me some live music.

7. Getting a Roomie

I'd decided I was finished with roomies sometime back in 2009. But it turned out that my neighborhood was less scary than Jessica's apartment complex, and I had an extra room. It was just going to be for a few months, but then she started making coffee every morning, not to mention martinis in the evening. And I realized I had a keeper. (Bonus: this helps support my previously mentioned concert habit.)

6. My Birthday
As most of you probably know, Bono ruined my birthday. I had a fabulous plan to spend my 30th at the U2 concert in Denver. Then Bono had to go and mess up his back, forcing the cancelation of all the summer shows. We already had plane tickets, though, so Jess and I headed to Denver, then Holly flew in from Seattle, and we still had a great weekend. Also, it rained most of the time. But we went to the Coors Brewery, did the Celestial Seasonings tour, and had some fabulous food. Plus, how could I go wrong spending the day with two of my most favorite ladies?

5. Friends, in general.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like my friends. A lot. The little moments with them are what make life meaningful. Late night pie dates, trips to the State Fair, neighborhood walks, watching The Bachelor(ette), attempting to stalk celebrities, playing bocce in the backyard, going to the spa... this is the stuff life is made of. And it definitely wasn't an easy year for some of those dearest to me. There was darkness, sickness, sadness, and loss. But these folks continually amaze me with their faith, resilience and love for others.

4. Painting Pumpkins with Emma
Emma is a popular chick who has many a family member competing for her attention. So I was pretty excited to have a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon with her. We sat on a blanket in mom and dad's backyard and painted pumpkins on a beautiful October day. Simple pleasure. Good times. Good company (even though she said my pumpkin was plain).

3. Japan

Japan isn't really one of the places that was on my life list. But it was on Mark's. And I'm that kind of friend. It really is a lovely place and I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience it. Plus, everything there makes so much more sense than in China. (You can read all about the trip here, if you haven't already.)

2. Graduating
For about a week in May, I insisted that friends refer to me as Master Steph. That didn't really work out too well, but I do have a piece of paper in a lovely frame to prove that I worked my butt off for two and a half years. Graduation was a time of celebration, relief, and wondering how the heck I managed to do that and work full time and still have a little fun. Sitting on the National Mall listening to Michelle Obama address the GWU Class of 2010 was a pretty surreal experience.

1. The Olympics (specifically, the Opening Ceremony)


No longer Olympics virgins, Holly and I went into this one kind of knowing what to expect. The fact that the Games were held in an English-speaking country was icing on the cake. The day I received an email telling me we had gotten the Opening Ceremony tickets, I nearly fell out of my chair. (Admittedly, part of that was probably because I saw how much my Visa had been charged.) I was soooo excited. I love, love, love that Holly got the money shot (above).


Up next, in 2011? You'll have to wait and see. Can you handle the suspense? (Don't worry, I am waiting, too.) I have a feeling it's going to be a pretty spectacular year. And probably in ways completely different than I am expecting. Because that's how life works.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

great post, Steph! Fun to recap the year. You live a sweet life.