If you only read this, you probably think life is all fun and games. But, like everyone else, I have my issues. Plenty of them.
My question is this: How transparent should one be on her blog? Obviously it's a matter of personal preference and comfort, so maybe the better question is how transparent should I be on MY blog?
This seems like an appropriate time for a Pro/Con list:
PROs of Sharing
-Accountability
-Might be encouraging someone without knowing it
-Possibility of turning into the next Julie Powell (as in, Julie and Julia)?
CONs of Sharing
-Totally opening yourself up to criticism from people you don't even know
-One word: Stalkers
-General creepiness of putting your junk out there for everyone to see, including co-workers and future employers
What do you think?
For those of you who are sharers, what are your motives?
3 comments:
I agree with your Pros and Cons. I guess my thought is that I only put out there what I would tell a friend. Not a best friend, but a friend. So stuff that is embarrassing and even pretty deep and serious, but no deep-dark secrets. Now if my blog were anonymous, the secrets would be out! Maybe I should start another blog...
Your fam and friends are typically your main readers. They want to see some of the grit of what you are living and experiencing. That being said, I think it is important not to vent all of your private thoughts to the world, guarding against producing "emotional pornography". Some things are better kept between you and a close friend/confidant.
Keep it real and honest with some discretion.
I love your posts - your blog is one of my favs to read!
I started my blog as a way to keep memories for myself, so I share what I want to remember. I try to do it honestly, but I don't post things I'm not okay with the whole world knowing.
I love your fun postings, but I still remember reading your reflections post from a year ago, so obviously you can do serious well also.
Post a Comment