Sunday, December 13, 2009

Tales from the 'Single Living' Section

I'm thinking about writing a book called I Make Fun of the Books in the Single Living Section.

I'll admit, I read Lady in Waiting in 1999 and enjoyed it (and was glad to see yesterday that they have redesigned the cover). I may even own a copy of a little book called Marriable (don't tell anyone).

Until yesterday, it had probably been well over a year since I'd set foot in a Christian bookstore. As I was perusing the aisles, a bright pink book grabbed my attention. Upon further examination, I saw that this book was called No Sex in the City. (I promptly took a photo with my phone and sent it to a friend.) I looked up and, you guessed it, I had found my way to the "Single Living" section.

Then I checked out some of the other titles:
  • God Is My Matchmaker
  • Sacred Singleness: The Set-Apart Girl's Guide to Purpose and Fulfillment
  • Living Whole without a Better Half
  • Sassy, Single and Satisfied

I like to think of myself as pretty experienced in being a single person. I could probably write a few books on the subject as well. Here are some of my title ideas:
  • I'm Not Splitting the Cost in Half with You Because There Are Two of You and One of Me
  • Living Without a Kitchen-Aid Mixer
  • Don't Complain to Me About Your Husband Being Out of Town
  • I Make Stupid, Impulsive Decisions Because No One Is Here to Tell Me 'No'

What would you call your book?

5 comments:

Meghan said...

If I Wanted a Friend I'd Get a Dog
Cooking for One: One recipe that lasts the entire week
A Guide to Using the "Good Dishes" in Everyday Life

Josh DeVine said...

I'm working on a couple:

"Saturday Night Singleness: A Guy, A Beer & A Lifetime TV Movie"

"Why, Yes, I'm A Party Of One And There's Nothing Wrong With That!: Wining, Dining & Dealing With smarmy Chili's Hostesses"

ehouse said...

i had to take a double take at the picture in your post b/c i know the girl that wrote "no sex in the city" b/c she went to my church. how funny.

Jenibug7 said...

"Stephanie ROCKS!"

Jen said...

So funny...and your titles are so true! I have also read my share of Christian dating/singleness books--however, I gave up on them years ago. Too cheesy!

Thanks for sharing humor and great insight! :)