Friday, February 27, 2009

Most improved writer?

Last night, a conversation with friends prompted me to dig out my old diary. I got the diary on my 9th birthday (1989), and used it on and off through middle school. Many of you know one of my dream jobs is to be a travel writer, and apparently I started at a very young age. I thought I would share my 1989 trip to Florida:

Saturday, June 17, 1989
Dear Diary,
Today we drove a lot. At the H. Inn we saw a drunk jump off a 2 story rail.
Bye, Bye!
[I totally remember this night. It must have had a big impression on me! And I love that I abbreviated "Holiday."]

Sunday, June 18, 1989
Dear Diary, 
I'm in Florida now! It is fun. We drove around. Then we played golf. We went to the beach, too.
Bye, Bye!

Monday, June 19, 1989
Dear Diary,
Today was rainy. We went to see Ghostbusters 2. It's funny. There was a roach in our room. It was grose. [sic]
Bye, Bye!

Tuesday, June 20, 1989
Today we went shopping. I got a shirt and lots of postcards. Then we went to M.S.A.P. It was fun. 
Bye, Bye!
[I have no idea what MSAP is... anyone?]

Wednesday, June 21, 1989
Today was fun. We went to the beach and we went shopping. Then we went to golf. It was fun.
Bye, Bye!

Thursday, June 22, 1989
Today we went to Shipwreck Island. It is fun.
Bye, Bye!
[Apparently I had a lot of fun on this trip!]

Friday, June 23, 1989
Today was fun. We rented a trike for the ocean. We went on bumper boats and golf. It's almost time to leave Florida. I guess I'm ready.
Bye, Bye!

Saturday, June 24, 1989
Today was our last day in Florida. All we did was go to the beach, and swim, and pack.
Bye, Bye!


3 comments:

Jenibug7 said...

I love that you still have this!!!
Hmmm, MSAP. My Super Aunt Polly's? Meat, Soup, and Pie? I am going to have to do some research on that one...
And sad that the last day wasn't any fun. But, you are right, the rest of the days must have been great!
Bye Bye!!!

Josh DeVine said...

Wow.

You've definitely become quite the writer... and from such humble beginnings!
Bye, bye!

Here's what my day would sound like, if you were to have written it back then...

Dear Diary,
Today I went to a new church. It was okay. Then I went for Starbucks and a run. It's kind of cold.
Bye, bye!

Jordan said...

This is great. I am impressed that you were keeping a travel diary 20 years ago. The "bye bye!" made me laugh...reminds me of something Emma might write one day soon. I also like how "fun" such mileage as an adjective for you.

To convey my passion for a certain statement, I used to write, "Today we went to Hilton Head, SC. I love going to HH, etc, infinity!!!!!!!"

I am not sure why I used "etc" but infinity was supposed to communicate that no amount of exclamation marks could articulate my level of excitement for the statement.

Have a great time in TX!!! (etc, infinity)