Sunday, January 25, 2009

The bartender, the taxi driver and the flight attendant

I will write more about my Vegas trip later, but for now I just want to tell you about three people we encountered this weekend...

The Bartender: Loves the Cable Car
I was first introduced to Nobhill at the MGM Grand a couple of years ago. They have a drink called the "Cable Car" and it's one of my favorites. On Friday night when we went to get one, we met an interesting character. Will has been bartending at Nobhill since it opened 11 years ago. He loves his job. We talked to him for quite awhile, about everything from iPhones to gun control. (Yikes.) When I asked him what was in my fave drink, he gave me the recipe, along with its story. He discovered the recipe in San Francisco several years ago, and began serving it at Nobhill. Within the next few years, it had won all kinds of national "best drink" awards. If you have a drink that you want to market, he is your man.

The Taxi Driver: Loves the movie "Titanic"
After a rough "bad shoe" night on Friday, we decided to cab it to Planet Hollywood for Miss America on Saturday night. We got into the car, and there was some lovely classical music playing. A couple of minutes into it, I recognized the tune and asked if it was the "Titanic" soundtrack. Why yes, it was indeed. "Did you like the movie? Did you see it more than once?" the driver asked. He then proceeded to turn it up really loud and say, "Remember the part where Rose is wearing that hat and getting out of the car? Remember that? This is the song that was playing." Wow. This man loves him some "Titanic."

The Flight Attendant: Loves the passengers on her flights
We all know that flying can be quite a hassle these days, but our Southwest flight attendant made it a little more bearable today. She sang a song that she'd made up about being cleared for takeoff, to the tune of "Heartbreak Hotel." When we landed, she sang - to the tune of Meet the Flintstones - "Thanks for, flying Southwest..." She received more than one round of applause on the flight. And not only did she sing, but she also went above and beyond while serving snacks and drinks. The world needs more people like this!

One of the fun parts of travel is meeting different people and learning a little about them, or seeing how they love their jobs. These three people all exhibited a passion that I can only hope others will see in me.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Stephanie: Loves Doing Incredible things with her Life

Glad you had a good wknd meeting some interesting characters. I think I had that flight attendant somewhere on the interview trail.