Monday, December 29, 2008

2008: The good, the bad, and the ugly

I thought I'd take a few moments to reflect on the past year. First, there's one thing I want to clear up. This will, like most of my blog posts, be kind of a shallow, silly reflection. For some reason I feel the need to let you know that there is (at least a little) more to me than what I write on my blog. I actually do spend time at the end of most years reflecting and journaling about accomplishments/frustrations of the past year and goals for the next. I just don't care to plaster that all over the internet. So with that disclaimer, here goes...

The Good: These are a few of my favorite things.
  • School. The thing in 2008 that was most different from 2007 was school. I started grad school in January, and it pretty much changed my life. I was forced to learn how to better manage my time. I'm still not good at it, but I like to think I've done a decent job with balancing school, work, friends and family. School has provided me with something to work toward, and I needed that. It has been both challenging and rewarding.
  • Friends. One of the best things I have going for me is some pretty stinking awesome friends. This year, I met a few new people who have become very good friends. I have deepened relationships with existing friends, and really feel like we're "doing life" together, and I like that. My friends put up with my ridiculousness, constantly amaze me with their hilarity, encourage me, humor me, and sing and dance in my living room. Literally.
  • Travel. After last year, I convinced myself that I should "settle down" a little. After all, I am in my late twenties. But who was I kidding? The bite of the travel bug has not yet healed. It may never heal. This year's big trip, of course, was to a little country called China for a little event known as the Olympics. But other trips along the way were pretty fun too... Disneyland with mom and dad, NKOTB in Chicago with Kelly and Jess, Phoenix with Julie, Bon Jovi with Kate, Gatlinburg with small group friends, and Nashville with Jordan, to name a few!
  • Emma. It's always fun to spend time with my awesome niece, and this year she has been more fun than ever. I love when she randomly says things like, "Stephanie, you are a good reader." And of course the biggie... "I love you, Stephanie." I have to admit I was caught off guard a couple months ago when, on the phone, she said in her whiniest voice, "Stephanie, will you take me to Disney World? I really want to see Mickey." [Guess who said yes...]
  • High school reunion. Our ten-year reunion was a highlight of my summer. It was such a blast, and so fun to see old friends again. It was not awkward or pretentious. Just plain fun. Plus, I uncharacteristically stayed out till 3am!
  • Little, sometimes spontaneous things. Summer nights at Rick's Cafe Boatyard. Going down the slide at the Children's Museum. Hours upon hours at Paradise Cafe. Colts games. Random concerts. Facebook stalking. (Watch out. I might mean you.) Leisurely Sunday afternoon lunches when I should really be studying. Marrying off one Meghan and getting a new Meghan. Setting up a pinata with two ladders in the middle of the street. Wine on the ceiling. Playing "pretend we're wives of rich doctors and the kids are with the nanny," and enjoying a day of food and shopping. Writing haiku at Steak N Shake (or anywhere, really). Laughing until I can no longer breathe. Making a pre-party drink without a recipe. Attempting yoga in the living room and falling down. It's a collection of little things like this that make up life.
The Bad/Ugly. (I am combining these. And hoping for a shorter list than the "good" list.)
  • School. Ok, I know I used that on my "good" list, but school is a double-edged sword. It was often a source of frustration, and occasionally sucked the life out of me. Sometimes I think of all the things I could be doing if I weren't studying. (The grad school word for that is "opportunity costs!")
  • The break-in. This one's pretty obvious and doesn't require much explanation. But let's just say that I STILL don't have a window. I must admit, though, that firing the contractor brought me joy. :)
  • The other break-in. Well, not really a break-in, but a broken car window. Funny how that was replaced in less than 24 hours.
  • Lots of other stuff. There are plenty more things to add to the list, like that S-word that so often rears its ugly head (selfishness!), and my inability to prioritize, but I am saving those things for the privacy of my journal...
Overall, I'd call it a good year. Here's to an even better 2009. And may your "good" list be much longer than your "bad/ugly" list!

1 comment:

Jordan said...

What a great post! Thank you, Steph!