Saturday, September 27, 2008

No more being nice to strangers.

I wish we lived in a world where we could assume the best about everyone, and believe people were generally truthful with good intentions. But alas, we do not. 

I am the person who never gives money to those people on the side of the road with the cardboard signs. I never believe them. I'm sure some of them are truly in need, but I would guess most of them are scammers. Sometimes I end up feeling guilty about my unwillingness to help.

I've been feeling extra selfish lately, so when a lady asked me for help today, I decided I would actually try to be of assistance. I'd been studying at Paradise and was packing up my stuff when she came inside and asked me what time it was. I told her. Then she asked if I was leaving, and told me a story about how a family member died, the bus couldn't get her all the way to the church, etc., etc. She simply wanted a ride to a church that wasn't too far away. Seems pretty harmless, eh? 

On the way to the car, our conversation went something like this:
Lady: What church do you go to?
Me: Traders Point.
L: Oh, I knew I had seen you there. Great church. The one with Pastor Steve.
M: Um, no, not Pastor Steve.
L: Right, right. The young guy.
M: Yes, Aaron.
L: That's right. Aaron.

Then as we got in the car and headed out of the parking lot, things began to change... she told me she needed to get to Alabama for the funeral, and something about being on disability, and not getting her check till the end of the week. Long story short, the bus ticket was $319 and she still needed $71. At first I told her no. Then I told her I'd give her $20 or $30. She was convincing. The next thing I knew, I was at the ATM and giving her $80, then driving her to someone's house on 46th St. After all, how much did I spend on new clothes yesterday? The guilt had kicked into high gear. 

As soon as I decided to actually give her the money, I resigned myself to the fact that I would never see it again - even though she promises to give me $100 back. Maybe I can think of it as an investment into the image and reputation of my church. At least now she won't think, "those people from TPCC are stingy and have no compassion." 

As we drew nearer to her destination, it became more apparent that I'd been taken. She tried to talk more about our church. 
L: "I really love that one pastor - the shorter guy with the dark hair."
M: "Oh, I'm not sure who you're talking about."
L: "Wait, he's the blonde guy."
M: "Uh huh."

When she got out of the car, she said, "So I'll see you at church?" Yep, lady, I'm sure you will.

So, people truly in need, I'm sorry, but I'm probably not going to help you because of people like this.


2 comments:

Tompkins News said...

Well, you can think of it as doing it unto the Lord and she is responsable for her lie. I never give people money. If they need something I will offer to buy it for them, and then you can weed out the scams. Like "I need money for food" I say "I'd be happy to buy you food" if they say "OK" then I do, but if the response is "no I'd rather have the money" then I say "sorry I can't help you then." It is sad what people will do to other people though...

Willow said...

I've been there, done that but I'll tell you something, you will be blessed for having a good heart. She has her own issues and Jesus will take care of that.