Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Yours

Most of you probably heard about the tragic death of Steven Curtis Chapman's five year-old daughter in May. The day I heard about it I sat on my couch and cried for a good half hour. I'm not sure why - maybe because it reminded me of the day when I lost a family member without much warning - a day when I was sitting on a different couch crying for much longer than a half hour.

Since May, I've been following the what the media has reported regarding the Chapmans, as well as Steven's manager's blog. Steven's manager, Jim, has done a great job in keeping fans and whomever else updated regarding the family's progress - the good times, the bad times, and how we can be praying for them. Recent coverage has included a story on Good Morning America, an hour with Larry King, and several pages in People Magazine. It has been encouraging to see how this family is relying on their faith through such a painful time, and how they are using their tragedy to point others toward the Lord.

After his daughter's death, Steven (I know, I'm talking about him like he's my friend, and that's a little weird) rereleased the song "Yours," with a new verse at the end. I've found myself having this song on repeat a lot lately. You should download it. Now. The lyrics are below. I look at them and think, "yeah, that's what I believe." But am I living like this is what I believe? Probably not. 

Yours
by Steven Curtis Chapman

I walk the streets of London
And notice in the faces passing by
Somthing that makes me stop and listen
My heart grows heavy with the cry

Where is the hope for London?
You whisper and my heart begins to soar
As I'm reminded
That every street in London in Yours
Oh, yes it is

I walk the dirt roads of Uganda
I see the scars that war has left behind
Hope like the sun is fading
They're waiting for a cure no one can find

And I hear children's voices singing
Of a God who heals and rescues and restores
And I'm reminded
That every child in Africa is Yours

Chorus
And it's all Yours, God, Yours, God
Everything is Yours
From the stars in the sky
To the depths of the ocean floor
And its all Yours, God, Yours, God
Everything is Yours
You're the Maker and Keeper, Father and Ruler of everything

And I walk the sidewalks of Nashville
Like Singapore, Manila and Shanghai
I rush by the beggar's hand and the wealthy man
And everywhere I look I realize

That just like the streets of London
For every man and woman, boy and girl
All of creation
This is our Father's world

[New Verse]
I've walked the valley of death's shadow
So deep and dark that I could barely breathe
I've had to let go of more than I could bear
And questioned everything that I believe
But still even here
in this great darkness
A comfort and hope come breaking through
As I can say in life or death
God we belong to you.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Yeah...Amen. God is incredible to have brought the Chapman's to a point of being able to say "we belong to you". Pretty inspiring to one who has to daily renew his faith with a lot lighter load. Thanks for reminding us to keep praying for SCC's family.

Willow said...

When God is all you got, it's then you realize, He is all you need.

Jen said...

Great post Steph! I too have become a HUGE Steven and his family fan. I have every tv show on my dvr and I am a huge supporter of Shaohannah's Hope. And I too cry like a baby everytime that song is played. He also wrote two songs about adoption that make me cry also.

Although I hate the suffering that they (and others) have gone through, they are so real and transparent about what God has done in their lives that it helps others (us) get through tough times.