Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Somewhere between a bottle of wine and a mullet...

In the past five days, I have been to three large, fun events attended by three distinct types of people. (You'll have to forgive me for stereotyping and realize that I know not everyone fits the mold.)

Symphony on the Prairie - On Saturday night, we headed up to Connor Prairie for the symphony. This is one of my most favorite summer activities. The first time I went, several years ago, we picked up food from Subway on the way there. Then we learned our lesson. People go all out for their picnics... we're talking tables, tablecloths, multiple bottles of wine and types of cheese. Each time I go, we get a little swankier. This year we did well. Wine, cheese, chicken salad croissants, and yummy brownies were a few things on the menu.

Brooks and Dunn - Sunday night, Jordan and I went to see Brooks and Dunn at Verizon Wireless Music Center. (Let's be honest, it'll always be Deer Creek to us!) Country concerts are right there behind state fairs when it comes to people watching. We saw mullets, we saw airbrushed shirts, and we saw one shirt with a phrase so disgusting I don't care to repeat it. Definitely a different crowd than the symphony.

American Idols Live - Last night, Kelly and I saw the top ten American Idol finalists from this season. This crowd was a lot of screaming teenagers, along with some families, and some random older couples. (Apparently I missed the memo about making a t-shirt proclaiming my love for one or both of the Davids.)

I've been wondering... about which of these groups can I quote Rodney Atkins and say, "these are my people..."? I like to think I have a little of each in me - from wine connoisseur to redneck to teeny bopper. (Ok, maybe a little more of the teeny bopper than the others.) 

Let's not put people in little boxes when we see them - but rather take time to get to know them, appreciate where they've come from, and learn from their experiences. 

2 comments:

The Murray Crew said...

Steph - I'm thinking the Covington Carnival could rival the B&D concert????

AND I'm wishin' I could have the swankier meal with ya at SOTP...I thought Subway would have been cool enough back in the day. I mean, you can dress it up with "Honey Oat" and "Provolone" with "Oil and Vinegar". Sounds Classy to ME! Good times.

Jordan said...

You should be proud of your ability to be a chameleon, adjusting to the social culture around you. I think you, being one that enjoys the diversity and challenge of different social environments, are definitely "my people"! I think Nascar-ians are next on our list...maybe Howard can hook us up.