Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Sad Day for Herman

[Author's Note: I am being very vulnerable with you, blog readers, because until now, only a select few have ever heard about Herman.]

I think it was sometime in middle school when streetlights were installed in my neighborhood. It just so happened that one was installed directly in front of my bedroom window. I'm not sure how it came about, but at some point, I decided this streetlight needed a name. I think I may have been on the phone with Holly when we came up with Herman. Or maybe not. Either way, I remember sitting in my room late at night talking with Holly about Herman (while we watched the "YOU-FOES" go by in the sky). 

Herman's soft glow was cast into my room during most, if not all, of my teenage years. He was there during the ridiculous middle school crises (Will you call him and ask him if he likes me?), and the drama of high school (Dad, you were SUPPOSED to tell him I'm not home!). He stayed with me through high school when some important friendships were on the rocks, and for the first year of college, when I was home pretty much every weekend.

Today, I went home for a [very] brief visit. As I rounded the curve toward mom and dad's house, the first thing I noticed was that Herman no longer stood tall and proud as he once did. I I asked mom what happened to him... and found that it was just yesterday that he was hit by a car. However, she informed me, his light still worked, even in this abnormal, sad state.

My old room is now Emma's room. I can only hope that Herman will continue to watch over her as he did me for so many years.  

1 comment:

Jordan said...

It took a skilled driver to hit Herman and make him bend like that. Hopefully your hometown prioritizes straightening him soon.

Sorry your long-time companion is in such a sad state.