Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Kiosk People

We all know that I love a good trip to the mall. However, lately, the annoying kiosk people have made my mall experiences a little less enjoyable. You know... the lotion people... and the hair straightener people.

I try to stay as far away from them as I can, avoid eye contact, and look like I'm in a hurry. But that never stops them from saying, "Miss, can I ask you a question?" By asking me if you can ask me a question, aren't you already asking me a question? Sometimes I keep walking. Other times I tell them no.

This week, I went to different malls two days in a row at lunch. (I was on the hunt for a certain sweater, but that's a story for another time.) It happened both days. Just once at Circle Center, but twice at Greenwood Park. After I said no to his initial question, the guy asked if I had used a straightener. If I had used one that day, it obviously didn't work because my hair was pretty curly. Maybe that's where he was going with the sales pitch...

So, lotion people and straightener people, LEAVE STEPH ALONE! I don't want your lotion, or your straightener, or your hair extensions. I just want to shop in peace.

2 comments:

TwIndy Mom said...

Steph - I am SO with you on this one. When I get the "Can I ask you a question" question, I always want to say "You just did" and walk away. They even try to ask you their question while you walk by on the cell phone. Can't a girl shop in peace?
-H

Jordan said...

okay...so what about a weave? new watch? free massage by one of our new students?

I guess I don't frequent the mall enough to get stopped by these people.

I DID, however, get harrassed by a Starbucks worker the other day. (After I had ordered a drink at the drive-up window) "What else can I get for you today?" "That will be all, ma'am." "What, no delicious chocolate chip cookie today?" I know she was just doing her job trying to sell the bake case but seriously, I know about your overpriced pastries and would have ordered one the first time had I wanted to. :) Just thankful that I am not in sales...