Monday, February 4, 2008

Flawed.


Within the past week, I've been reminded of a couple of my [many] flaws. Most of my friends know that I definitely wear my emotions on my face, whether I mean to or not. I've caught myself more than once this week making inappropriate faces. I don't think the people these faces were directed toward noticed. At least I hope not.

My Spanish class story is probably the best example: When I was in class at Butler, the professor called me out in front of the whole class, saying, "You are looking at me right now like I am the stupidest person in the world." What does one say to that? I think I might've said something like, "Sorry. It runs in the family." (If you know my dad, you already knew that!)

My other issue as of late is opening my big mouth to later end up feeling really terrible about what I've said. Sometimes it's something I've thought, not something I said. I can think of at least three times in the past week this has happened. Again, I don't think the people to whom the comments were directed noticed. But I noticed... and that bugs the heck out of me.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

I hear ya, Steph. Putting in my foot in my mouth seems to be easier these days. I think life has a way of taking away the "filters" that used to purify your speech and actions.

Sometimes a little honesty is refreshing and relationships are healthier for it. However, some of it can be damaging, requiring some prayer investment towards developing more grace and perhaps some filter-reinstatement.

Thanks for your transparency with this struggle.

p.s. how did this guy get his foot facing outwards from his mouth?