Since traveling and breakfast are pretty much two of my most favorite things in the world, I usually try to have at least one fantastic breakfast per trip. I love finding new breakfast spots via word of mouth, random google searches, or Urban Spoon.While a "Steph Meets Breakfast" Food Network show would be ideal, I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future, so I thought I'd post some of the gems I've found around North America... mostly for my benefit so I can remember the names of them.
Cincinnati, Ohio
- The Echo Restaurant - Just had a fantastic breakfast there today, thus the post.
Baltimore, Maryland
- Miss Shirley's - The photo is of my white chocolate raspberry pancakes from there. Yum.
Denver/Boulder, Colorado
- Sam's No. 3 - I first ate here in 2005, and had the pleasure of returning this summer. It's a diner with a Mexican twist.
- Walnut Cafe - Found this by googling "Best Breakfast in Boulder."
- Paul's Place Omelettery - We checked this out while in Vancouver for the Olympics. How could you not love a restaurant that has "Omelettery" in the name?
Chicago, Illinois
- Yolk - One of my favorite hotel salespeople told me about this place, and I've been there several times now. Popeye's Favorite is my favorite!
Redmond, Washington
- Pomegranate Bistro - Holly has taken me here a couple of times when I was there visiting. Besides the yummy food, they also have some lovely coffee drinks.
... and I would be remiss if I did not share my fave hometown spots:
Indianapolis, Indiana
- Cafe Patachou - I heart the omelette you can't refuse. I really can't refuse it.
- Omega Pancake House - This one's pretty new to me. I've only been there once, but there was a lot of food. And a lot of laughter.
- Good Morning Mama's - ok, so I haven't actually been to this one yet, but it is on my list to try soon. If it's anything like it's sister restaurant, Mama Carolla's, I already know I will love it.
Louisville, Kentucky
- Toast on Market - A trendy little place downtown
- Lynn's Paradise Cafe - A Louisville institution. Good food and ugly lamps.
- Wild Eggs - they have this amazing everything muffin...
What's your favorite breakfast place?
2 comments:
How could I not chime in on a food related post?
Donuts: Jevon and I (being the picture of health) love DONUTS! Our fav is in Portland, OR, called Voodoo Donuts. Sketchy place inside and out, but man are the donuts amazing. They have a plain glazed that's bigger than my head and it is amazing! We found this one on Man vs. Food on the travel channel.
French Toast: Cafe Max in Culver, IN. If you are ever up there to take in the lake, stop there. It fills up ridiculously quick on a summer weekend. Most divine thing is the Sinful French Toast= two made from scratch cinnamon rolls, dipped french toast style, smothered in butter and rich maple syrup topped with powdered sugar. Yes, again, the picture of health; I think my cholesterol is rising just thinking about that.
Buffet: Das Essenhaus Breakfast Buffet. Ok, so I usually frown on buffets for the questionable sanitation with everyone serving themselves, but this is an exception I will make every time! Das Essenhaus is in Middlebury, IN. It's kind of a big deal up there. It's completely Amish cooking, which you guessed it, puts it in the healthy category just like my other two favs above. The stuff is top quality. My favorite (and I mean I can eat this by the plateful, shamefully) is cornmeal mush. They make it from scratch and it is fantastic! I try to take only a couple pieces of bacon and load up on fruit to make myself feel better about the heaping portions of fried mush that I'm dipping unsparingly into hot syrup, but I don't think it exact balances my meal out. Oh well. As my mom says, "You don't eat there everyday." No, I don't, but I wish I could :)
HANG ON! What about Chicken & Waffles in Seattle, Washington? You would be remiss to not mention this :)
Post a Comment