[Disclaimer: I'm not writing this so you think I am awesome. I am writing to hopefully encourage you to make someone's day. Plus, chances are that if you read this, you already know how awesome I am! haha. ]I'll admit it - I go through the Starbucks drive thru a few too many times a week. But when there are employees as awesome as Meredith and Ronnie, you just can't help yourself! Lately, my drink of choice has been a grande iced coffee with skim milk and one pump of vanilla.
A few months ago, I got to the window and was told the person in front of me paid for my drink. I've always heard of people doing things like that, but never thought I would be the recipient of such kindness. Fast forward to last week: a co-worker was two cars behind me in the drive thru and I bought her coffee. She was super-appreciative, and even wrote about it on her Facebook status. :)
I started thinking how a simple thing can bring such joy, and I decided that once a week I will buy coffee for the person behind me in the drive thru. Am I saving orphans in China or ending poverty or getting clean water to Africa? Certainly not. But I am making someone's day a little brighter.
I challenge you to do the same. (Ooh, I don't think I've ever issued a challenge on my blog!) Maybe you don't frequent Starbucks (gasp!), but I encourage you to find something you can do - regularly - to show a little lovin' to a stranger. What are your ideas?
3 comments:
love it! let us know how your random act of kindness is going periodically.
-I like the challenge of writing a hand-written note to a friend once/week and snail-mailing it to them. thankfully, my friends (you included!) are really good at this.
-Go visit or send flowers to a few people on the church's list of hospitalized members.
-Send a friend a giftcard to their favorite restaurant/coffee shop when they are feeling down (another one inspired my great friends)
-Pack homeless kits in your car to give away on the road
-Offer to do some odds and ends for an elderly individual in your community.
-volunteer at places like Salvation Army and FAME! Our YA friends are already doing this...
Thanks for the challenging post.
Ok, first of all, I need to know- how do you pay for their coffee if you don't know what they will order?
Second, one of the nicest things done for us was the meals that people brought to the hospital for me when elena was there for a week. If any of my friends ever have kids in the hospital, I hope I can do this for them.
Third, I don't go through Starbucks drive-thrus- I have a meeting there every other week, so I limit my indulgence to then. But, McDonalds, I DO frequent quite a bit! So maybe happy meals for the kids in the minivan behind mine are in order! :)
Good question, Jen.
Meredith, the Starbucks employee extraordinaire who works the register every morning, knows my plan and can help with that. While I'm all about being generous, I can't really purchase seven lattes and ten breakfast sandwiches for the person behind me. :)
Post a Comment