Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Life Stories

A couple of weeks ago at church, we did something really cool - cardboard testimonies. I was one of the people who went onstage to share... well... a testimony on a piece of cardboard. As I was thinking about it the week before, I realized that some of the newer people in my small group weren't aware of what I was sharing. With it being such a big part of my life and who I am, it got me thinking about how our small group doesn't really know one another that well. So after a chat with the Olsen brothers (that sounds like it could be a business, but I'm not sure what kind), we decided to have "Life Story Night" at small group.

Tonight was that night. And it was really cool. I learned things I didn't know about people I'd known for awhile, and I learned even more about the newer folks. 

Sometimes it's hard with our busy schedules to take the time to actually get to know someone. While it's easy to hang out and go to dinner or the movies, it's more difficult to get past the surface questions like "how was your day?" and move on to things like "what life experiences have made you who you are today?" But it's so worth the time in the end. I am encouraged by the stories I heard tonight, and hope that we will continue to get to know one another on a deeper level.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

i agree! what a cool night of getting to know each other better. thanks again for the idea.

Jenibug7 said...

That is so neat. What was on your cardboard?