Saturday, December 8, 2007

Adventures in Retail

Last night, Liz accompanied me as I ran some errands and got some Christmas shopping done. First stop: dinner at Paradise Bakery. Yum. Why is the small salad really small and the large is really large? Can we get a medium?

Then we were off to Toys R Us to find the Little People Noah's Ark for Emma. Easy enough, right? Nope. Once we found the thing, I waited in line forEVER. The people in front of me spent $641.00, needed a couple price checks, and applied for a credit card. Even after 20 minutes at the register, they still had to go to the service desk.

Then the real fun began... I purchased a treadmill last week and decided I would attempt to save $65 by bringing it home myself rather than having it delivered. So we went to Sears to pick it up. And surprise, it didn't fit in the car. The nice man tied my hatch down so I could still get it home. But when we got out on 82nd Street, the string broke and the hatch popped open. Liz had her hand on the treadmill box, like maybe she could save it if it started to fall out. But more importantly, she was protecting Noah and his animals that we had worked to hard to get at Toys R Us. 

We drove back to Sears. I was laughing pretty hard by this point. We went back inside and I found the guy who tied it up for me and told him I changed my mind. Then the paperwork began. Not only did I have to add the delivery, but I needed an adjustment too because the thing was $83 cheaper online. The cashier made me wait forever because he didn't know what he was doing. He said he was making me wait for the manager in order to make this "as efficient as possible..." to which I muttered under my breath, "I think we're way past efficient."

An hour later, we were on our way to Target. That was a pretty uneventful trip other than our manhunt for the breadcrumbs.

'Tis the season!

2 comments:

Jordan said...

Now you've tasted the real meaning of Christmas. Emma will be ever so grateful for your trouble. My mom was known to "rebel-rouse" one Christmas to score two "corn-silk" cabbage patch dolls with the real hair for Lauren and Natalie. Initially she only found one which she gave to Natalie. lauren got "Mother Goose" with the tape deck in the wing span. After busting out the water works and vowing hatred towards Ms. Nursery Rhymes herself, my parents made an emergency call to "Santa" and an exasperated trip to Walmart for what must have been the last cabbage patch on Earth. And all was well in the land...

Though we all kind of condemn the madness of the search for the precious, elusive toy of the season, I think it's kind of fun and maybe a little thrilling. Hats off to you for fighting the crowds (and winning) as well as not losing your treadmill on 465.

Stephanie said...

If you ever meet my grandma, you'll have to ask her about getting CPKs for my sister and I. Rumor has it she and papaw almost got run over (or did they almost run over someone? I don't remember) after getting a phone call that there were some in stock at Children's Palace. Oh, but I still vividly remember that night and seeing the dolls sitting on the couch when we got home. Violet Avis was mine's name...